Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Melbourne Cup


The 1st Tuesday in November each year is an important and exciting event for Australians - the running of a horse race called the Melbourne Cup. I don't know why it is special, because there are Brisbane Cups and Sydney Cups and horse races every Saturday throughout the country. None of these garner any interest except amongst horsey followers, but the Melbourne Cup is special. It is a huge party event all over the country,..there are Melbourne Cup parties and Melbourne Cup luncheons and then there is Melbourne Cup betting.

Almost everyone will go down to their local betting agency and stand in a long queue to put a few bucks on their chosen horse. -- no-one has a clue and there are myriads of reasons for choosing a horse ..you like it's colour or it's name or it's jockey or it's jockey's silks or it's mother or it's father..the list is endless and it can take days of poring over the newspapers and listening to the radio to settle on a horse.(or horses in my case..I'm too indecisive to pick just one, so I end up with a few.- invariably none of them come anywhere except maybe last) Then it's off to the betting shop to stand in line and place your bet. This year, I chose 2 horses..Nom de jeu, which came nowhere and Bauer which came 2nd by a whisker. Exciting!! I managed to come out a few bucks ahead, but the real excitment of the day was the Melbourne Cup lunches
....I scored 2:) ..My wonderful fun neighbour Mary, hosted a glam affair at her home... we were only 5 , but Mary didn't let the intimacy of the affair interfere with dressing properly for the event..next year I'm buying a hat...such fun :)

Next, it was off to DY RSL with Helen and Robyn... we lunched on champagne, lobster, lamb cutlets and chocolate mousse.



I flogged the rsl's decorations and brought them home. I took them up to Andy. He loved them and he looked so cheerful and colourful:)..(Chris where were these balloons when you had your 21st..we could have done with them!)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger C said...

you forgot the geelong cup!!!

need a hat mum!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home