Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Up the Yangtze!

After the euphoria and spectacle of the Olympic games with it's fabulous Opening Ceremony and the spectacular scenery on the route of the road race, I was dead keen to go to to China. I have long wanted to see the terracotta soldiers and the games fuelled my enthusiasm a hundredfold. I started researching, plotting and scheming a trip to China.

Coincidentally, and as part of my research, I went to see a Canadian doco called "Up the Yangzte" . It tells the story of the farmers displaced by the building of the Three Gorges Dam. It is one of the saddest, most moving films I have ever seen. I left the cinema totally confused about whether I actually wanted to go to China and provide the Chinese government with a single cent of revenue. (Of course, this would mean never buying anything ever again, since nearly everything is made in China.).
I highly highly recommend this movie to everyone.. visually beautiful and deeply touching. it made me want to own it, replay it and be thankful for the life I lead.and may I be very careful about ever whingeing again!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home