Sunday, April 15, 2012

Canberra - Day 2

Lake Burley Griffin in the dawn


Day 2 started before dawn as I was hoping to get some nice sunrise shots. So we drove down to the lake in time to see a posse of photographers complete with tripods leaving their cars and marching off. I figured I was onto something and we scurried after them!!.. It turns out we'd landed in Canberra on the weekend of a hot air balloon festival which was very exciting, except the photographers had chosen the wrong vantage point and after waiting for about an hour, we decided to give up,and turned around just in time to see the balloons on the other side of the bridge.


So I took a couple of lake shots


and we retreated to breakfast in my favourite Canberra brekkie spot - The Pork Barrel Cafe.. They do great muesli..dad had the pancakes and assured me they do great pancakes too!

Canberra- home of hot air!! and the might of the Aussie Air Force.!

Then we headed off to the War Memorial

..Had a good 4 hours here.. I would have been happy with 2, Dad would have been happy with 8..4 was a good compromise!! It's a very beautiful memorial but I have a more limited stamina and interest in the museum than dad!





A fraction of the Honour Roll




Model of the Australia..Poppy served on this ship on active service in WW2

This is the bike that chases Steve McQueen up the mountains!! ( I was quite excited at this point!)

I wondered if it was a subliminal statement to project the Japanese flag onto the floor for people to walk on..I didn't see the flags of our great and glorious allies cast all over the floor.


We finished the day with another walk around the sculpture garden,
dinner at an Asian noodle bar ( best laksa ever) and the movies.. We saw Marilyn.. I think Michelle Williams was unlucky to come up against Meryl Streep in the Oscars..She was stunning....the rest of the movie was a bit of a nonevent though ( except for Judy Dench- who is just a deadset superstar!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home